Working on Key West deliveries for the first half of this week. I know updates to these projects are overdue so I will do my best to post some updates within the next week or so.
I am working on the delivery schedule for customers today. Its more than just putting people into a queue. We will have to re-order parts in order to fill the orders and that means the possibility of a pause in deliveries later in the year. I am looking at the schedule today to see what we can do to minimize any pause in deliveries. We have on hand at the moment enough parts to deliver about half of the pre-orders, depending on the make up of the orders as they come in. So the key here is to prioritize which parts we need to order and see how fast we can move. I want to see what pace makes sense so that we can maximize the balance between shipping speed and minimizing down time.
- We have shipped a few pieces. Please note that this was not a token effort. We have more pieces in the final stages of assembly.
- We will resume shipments the week of June 6th.
I know everyone, including myself, is chomping at the bit to see these start rolling out here. We are finalizing the scheduling for the Plankowners. This is what I can tell you at this point:
- We will be scheduling shipments by dial type. So Key West 1001/1002s will scheduled as a group, for example. Trying to schedule the orders strictly by chronological order would actually slow us down since its faster to assemble in batches by similar parts. That being said we will do our best to follow the chronological order.
- Right now we are trying to figure out how far in advance we can provide meaningful shipping estimates. This comes down to a matter of accuracy and how often we may have to manually revise and update the dates as a result of the pace of deliveries. The more we have to update this information the more time it takes away from actual assembly and shipping.
- The summer: In order to stay focused on assembly and shipping I will be canceling my personal vacation this year. Normally I go back to Taiwan to visit my in-laws in July. Unfortunately the return leg of the trip is just too disruptive as I usually spend weeks trying to get over jet lag.
- The inserts that we have on hand have been QC’d and are ready to be used. We will have to re-order the inserts so this will increase the chances that everyone will get their first choices.
- We have completed the inspection for the first 200 case backs. We had a few bad ones but fortunately those case backs were not allocated to Plankowners. So to re-phrase….all Plankowner case backs are present and accounted for. We had one Plankowner case back with some light scratches. We have emailed that Plankowner to notify them of their options and to invite feedback before delivery.
- Scheduling: I will begin the scheduling process next week. That doesn’t necessarily mean that delivery dates will be published by next week though.
- Shipments: We expect to begin shipments within the next 2 weeks.
If you would like to attend the NYC Get-together on March 5th please sign up for the mailing list below. The event is slated to take place the afternoon of the 5th with the location currently being determined. Thanks to Charlie P. for setting this up!
P.S. As always your email address will not be sold or added to any other of our mailing lists. This is just for the NYC GTG and afterwards the mailing list will be deleted.