I received the drawings for the last 3 parts I was waiting on. Unfortunately they were not received early enough for me to review before our annual pilgrimage to Taiwan to visit the in-laws (which begins in 12 hours from now). As long as these last three drawings don’t have any issues I should be able to complete a final review of the drawings after I get back on the 20th of July. The goal is to sign-off on the drawings and begin sampling by the beginning of August. We have an idea for the case back design but again we will have to present this after our return.
I am leaving in 12 hours for our annual pilgrimage to Taiwan to visit the in-laws so please excuse the brevity of this update:
- Right now we are working through the date wheel printing process. We QC’d the first batch and are going through the second printing to build additional inventory
- The first round of case body QC has been completed and we have returned the parts to the vendor that needed re-work.
- A sample of QC’d case parts have been sent off the quality control company. This is the one I referred to an in earlier post and they will be doing computer measurements of the parts so we can verify the quality of the machining. If all is well then we will submit the bezel insert to manufacturing and continue with the process of cleaning and assembling the case bodies. We don’t want to continue with this process until we can be reasonably sure the parts will fit together as designed.
- We are still working on the case back designs. Sorry but just ran out of time before the trip to get the designs together for publication and feedback.
- We are expecting the first batches of dials in September.
I return on the 20th of July….which is to say I will be lucid again towards the latter half of that week rather than online on the 20th. I will be doing accounting and catching up with correspondence with vendors while in the jet lag haze at the beginning of that week.
- The June/July round will begin June 22nd. To submit your email address for the lottery please see this page.
- Please note that there will be no July round because the office will be in vacation mode from July 2nd through July 20th. We will do the June and July rounds in June.
- We have made one significant change. All of the case backs for the Project GMT series will be the same and none will use the Nassau case backs. More details below.
- The total quantity of Project GMT watches will be between 350 and 400 pieces. The reason for the range is that it will depend upon how many good cases come from the inspection process.
- The 2nd stage pre-order will allocate the 350 pieces (This includes the Plankowners and the 2nd stage pre-0rders to date). If we have more than 350 pieces available the last 50 pieces will be sold through the General Ordering process.
- We will be having more case backs made for the Project GMT so that we will not have to use any Nassau case backs for the production. Everyone will be getting the special case back.
- QC of the parts is ongoing and we are beginning the process of prepping the cases for assembly. The beginning of assembly is not imminent as of this time because we are working on the dials and the date wheels.
A quick update:
* We have worked up a couple of ideas for the case back engraving. We will post these as soon as we can for everyone’s review
* I have finished refining the bezel insert design. The changes are subtle improvements over the original posted to the site.
* We will be submitting the parts to a new step, coordinate measurement, to confirm that the parts all work together and to adjust the bezel insert diameter as required to get the best fit. We hope to get this completed later this month.
* Date wheels are currently in production. We are doing them in two batches and doing the QC. The second batch I hope will be in process by July.
I just submitted the latest comments/revisions for the case and bracelet drawings. The issues are minor. At this point, assuming no surprises, I expect that we will be able to sign-off on the drawings and begin the sampling phase in June 2015.
We received the latest iteration of the technical drawings.