- The technical drawings for the case parts has been approved. Sampling has begun. We expect to see the samples before Baselworld in March.
- Bracelet drawings are still in process. I found a minor but significant oversight. It has been corrected but we are waiting on the final drawings.
- We will begin the sampling for the dials later this month so that we have dial samples ready in time for the case samples.
- I will post soon about the case back decision. Sorry for the delay. Getting the case drawings that last few feet into approval has been the primary focus these last few weeks.
- Assuming the case samples turn out okay the factory has noted that the case parts could be ready as soon as June 2016. This is a BIG “IF” at this point but we will do our best to push this project toward that goal. It has to be said that there is normally some adjustments that have to be made to the samples before approval for mass production can begin. That being said we will have to begin the 2nd Stage Pre-order probably before the end of this year so that we have the funds available to pay the for the case parts, start the dial production, and continue with the hand production.
- 2nd Stage plankowner payment: We will begin the process of collecting this payment next week. Plankowners will have approximately 2-3 months to submit this deposit. We will also collect serial number requests at this point. An email will go out next week as soon as the ordering page is up.
- The case drawings have been approved.
- We are still working on one issue with regards to the bracelet. Its not a major issue but still an important one
- Hands are currently in production
- The updated designs came back from the case supplier. With the exception of the bracelet end-piece we have everything buttoned-up. If we have to we can go forward with the case sampling before the drawings on the bracelet are final but this isn’t ideal. I hope, and expect, that next week that my tweaks to the end-piece are acceptable and that we can finally proceed with the sampling stage.
- Hands: As noted earlier the hand designs have been released to the vendor. The order has been acknowledged but we are still waiting on the delivery time frame for the parts. Once received we will begin the process of inspection and having the parts lumed.
- Case back design: Based on discussions about the survey data and comments we have finalized the case back design. Because we expect that there will be people that agree and disagree with the final decision I will post the details as soon as I can put together a post detailing our thinking and the reasons for our conclusion.
- Assuming that we enter the pre-production sampling stage of the project this month we will be sending out requests for the 2nd stage payments to Plankowners. The first payments made by Plankowners were used to secure the movements for the project. The 2nd stage payments will be allocated to tooling and production deposits/costs.
A status update on the project:
- Waiting on case supplier for feedback on my comments. The comments are regarding small, but important, details that needed to be double checked.
- I completed the hand designs earlier today and have released the information to the hand manufacturer. Due to the time it will take to get the hour and minute hands made to my standards we have to start now before the cases are begun and slowly build up our inventory.
- The dial designs are completed and ready to go the manufacturer. We will send these out the same time we approve the case designs and we know that case sampling has been started. I know some of you are curious so I will note that I have completed designs using a big triangle dial and one with the 12 at the, well, 12 o’clock position. Both dials have been designed in date and non-date versions. I will likely do a survey to see if there is enough demand to make all or if I should only make a selection of the dials.
I just sent the case back design survey out to the Plankowners. A second survey with the same questions was also emailed to those on the Project 300 mailing list.
The following is a link to the general survey for all those interested in the Project 300 but not on the mailing list or a Plankowner. Plankowners please only take the survey that I sent to you via email.
I have completed the final review of the case drawings. There are a few minor issues we need to double check or correct before we can sign off on the drawings. These are minor things like tolerances and similar details. In the mean time I would like to see if we can nail down the case back engraving so that everything can be submitted at the same time. Toward that end:
- We have 2 case back designs ready for review. One basic one and a second one with a design.
- We will create two surveys: 1) for the Plankowners to voice their opinion and choose 2) a more general survey for everyone else. The reason for the 2 surveys is simple if there is any significant disagreement between the results Plankowners should have priority.
- Everyone is welcome to discuss the design on our forum before voting but I probably will not be able to participate directly in the discussions given the current workload. For that I apologize in advance. We are trying to clear the deck of the design work that we do so that I can focus on managing the suppliers and executing the projects. I want to get the design work for both the Project 300 and Project GMT wrapped up in this regard by the end of August.