- The updated designs came back from the case supplier. With the exception of the bracelet end-piece we have everything buttoned-up. If we have to we can go forward with the case sampling before the drawings on the bracelet are final but this isn’t ideal. I hope, and expect, that next week that my tweaks to the end-piece are acceptable and that we can finally proceed with the sampling stage.
- Hands: As noted earlier the hand designs have been released to the vendor. The order has been acknowledged but we are still waiting on the delivery time frame for the parts. Once received we will begin the process of inspection and having the parts lumed.
- Case back design: Based on discussions about the survey data and comments we have finalized the case back design. Because we expect that there will be people that agree and disagree with the final decision I will post the details as soon as I can put together a post detailing our thinking and the reasons for our conclusion.
- Assuming that we enter the pre-production sampling stage of the project this month we will be sending out requests for the 2nd stage payments to Plankowners. The first payments made by Plankowners were used to secure the movements for the project. The 2nd stage payments will be allocated to tooling and production deposits/costs.
A status update on the project:
- Waiting on case supplier for feedback on my comments. The comments are regarding small, but important, details that needed to be double checked.
- I completed the hand designs earlier today and have released the information to the hand manufacturer. Due to the time it will take to get the hour and minute hands made to my standards we have to start now before the cases are begun and slowly build up our inventory.
- The dial designs are completed and ready to go the manufacturer. We will send these out the same time we approve the case designs and we know that case sampling has been started. I know some of you are curious so I will note that I have completed designs using a big triangle dial and one with the 12 at the, well, 12 o’clock position. Both dials have been designed in date and non-date versions. I will likely do a survey to see if there is enough demand to make all or if I should only make a selection of the dials.
I just sent the case back design survey out to the Plankowners. A second survey with the same questions was also emailed to those on the Project 300 mailing list.
The following is a link to the general survey for all those interested in the Project 300 but not on the mailing list or a Plankowner. Plankowners please only take the survey that I sent to you via email.
I have completed the final review of the case drawings. There are a few minor issues we need to double check or correct before we can sign off on the drawings. These are minor things like tolerances and similar details. In the mean time I would like to see if we can nail down the case back engraving so that everything can be submitted at the same time. Toward that end:
- We have 2 case back designs ready for review. One basic one and a second one with a design.
- We will create two surveys: 1) for the Plankowners to voice their opinion and choose 2) a more general survey for everyone else. The reason for the 2 surveys is simple if there is any significant disagreement between the results Plankowners should have priority.
- Everyone is welcome to discuss the design on our forum before voting but I probably will not be able to participate directly in the discussions given the current workload. For that I apologize in advance. We are trying to clear the deck of the design work that we do so that I can focus on managing the suppliers and executing the projects. I want to get the design work for both the Project 300 and Project GMT wrapped up in this regard by the end of August.
Update on the Project 300’s status:
* I am reviewing, hopefully for the last time, all of the drawings for the project. I hope to sign-off on them this week or next.
* Case back engraving: I have the details on the case back done (serial number, material, movement type, etc.) At this point we just need to decide what, if any, decorative design will be included on the case back. We are currently preparing a mock-up of a design we like for your review. We hope to get this published in the next few weeks so that it can be included in the first round of the sample parts.
* MOD Sword hands: We have been testing a new supply chain for the hands. We discussed this in the post PoP – Watch Hands Pt. 1. We will be preparing Pt. 2 for release in the next few weeks. However the results were better than we expected and have resulted in the best set of MOD Sword hand that we have ever done. The downside of this process is that it will take a long time (6-12 months) to produce all of the hands we will need for this project because of all of the QC steps and frequent flyer miles that the hands will accumulate. With this in mind we will actually be starting production of the hands ASAP (i.e. before the case samples will be done).
I received the drawings for the last 3 parts I was waiting on. Unfortunately they were not received early enough for me to review before our annual pilgrimage to Taiwan to visit the in-laws (which begins in 12 hours from now). As long as these last three drawings don’t have any issues I should be able to complete a final review of the drawings after I get back on the 20th of July. The goal is to sign-off on the drawings and begin sampling by the beginning of August. We have an idea for the case back design but again we will have to present this after our return.