If you have forgotten your password please submit a ticket here and we will have to reset it manually for you. The updated that we installed to the E-boutique software last week disabled the password recovery link in the email that goes out. This is a problem that has been reported before for our platform, in conjunction with this update, and we will have it addressed as soon as we can. In the mean time please submit a request for manual reset through the CSP.
The following are important updates, clarifications, and explanations regarding the Key West GMT (aka Project GMT) process going forward.
- Pre-order slots still available: The last group of slots will be made available this month. After that the wait list will be used to fill any cancellations that we receive and for the General Ordering.
- General Ordering: There are 50 watches reserved for the General Order. The availability of these watches will be determined once we are certain that there are enough parts to fill all of the Plankowner and 2nd Pre-Order customer orders. We expect that this will be around Q4 of 2016. To sign up for the mailing list please click here.
- Delivery timetable:
- We finally have enough parts on hand to begin assembly. If the bezel inlays are delivered on-time (late February) and pass our QC we expect that shipments will start in April 2016 (we will be traveling for Baselworld 2016 for part of March)
- Important notes:
- We are performing all of the QC, assembly and final testing here in the USA. We are building the watches as the orders are submitted. This allows us the most control over the quality of the final piece and the delivery schedule.
- We will maximize the probability that everyone’s first choice is accommodated by re-ordering the dials and hands, if necessary, based on how the final selections shape up.
- After the bezel inlays arrive we will be able to update the E-boutique with actual photos of the Key West GMT watches.
- Matte black dial option: The dials are expected to be delivered at the end of March 2016. So please note that if you want this version of the Key West there will be a slight delay and that we will begin filling your order as soon as the parts are QC’d and ready.
- Our goal is to deliver all of the Key West watches by the end of 2016.
- Plankowners: You will receive an email by Tuesday January 26th with the details for making your final watch selections. (Update: Email has been sent!)
- 2nd Stage Pre-order Customers: We have organized the 2nd stage pre-order customers into 10 groups (see the chart at the bottom of this page). Beginning February 2016 we will be sending out an email asking the first group of 30 customers to submit their final selections and payments. Our plan is to ask 1-2 groups per month for their final watch selections based on the pace of shipments. The reasons for this process is:
- 1) Staging the final selections should allow us to minimize the lead time between final order submission and shipment (approximately 2-4 months.)
- 2) This process should also allow us enough advanced notice to re-order parts, if necessary, so that we can minimize disruption to the delivery schedule and maximize the chances that everyone gets their first choice.
- Important announcements:
- Bezel: The bezel will be a 48 click unidirectional bezel. Based on a number of our tests the bi-directional bezel is too difficult to turn. We had successfully used this exact construction in the past. The bidirectional spring did not perform as expected because of the smaller size and profile of the Key West bezel. While it has been explored, redesigning the spring or employing an alternative construction is not a realistic option. The unidirectional spring offers a high quality feel and performs just as well as the Kingston and Nassau bezels but with 48 clicks instead of 60.
- Dial: The black & gold and white & gold dials will be LE-only. Please note that while we have no plans to do so, if we issue a non-LE version of the Key West that we will be using a matte black and white print dial without the “Key West GMT” name. This is the same deal as with the Kingston and Nassau.
- GMT hand: It was noted earlier on the Project GMT summary page that the hand might be a feature used only on the LE. We would like to clarify that this will not be an LE-only part. We didn’t feel that it added any value to the project by making this part an LE-exclusive. Similarly we didn’t feel that it deducts any value from the LE nature of the project. It’s important to reiterate that there are no plans at this time to offer a non-LE version of the Key West GMT.
Its been a looonnnngggg week full of admin work and server updates. The detailed announcement and Plankowner ordering emails are ready to go out. Unfortunately there is a large winter storm coming in tonight. Normally with these kinds of storms we lose power and hence contact with the electronic world. So assuming that we aren’t too worse off after the storm and that the USPS doesn’t update their API again, we will be sending out the emails and posting the update on Monday January 25. This way we should be online and available to answer any questions or deal with any software glitches that might arise.
The image below is the final case back design for the Key West GMT (aka Project GMT). In response to the survey feedback from customers and prospective customers we modified the design that we had developed. Originally the engraving featured 4 diagonal lines that were meant to represent counterflowing air traffic. This detail did not elicit the kind of reaction we had intended so we removed 2 of the lines from the design and re-positioned the aircraft silhouette on the case back. Among the other suggestions for the case back design the following are the reasons that we did not move forward with those designs:
* Palm tree/landing aircraft design by Steelinox: While we agreed that the design was excellent, our assessment was that after scaling the design down to the required size most of the detail that made the design attractive would have been lost or easily eroded with wear.
* PanAm style globe or PAA wing-style design: This was suggested by a number or customers and mocked-up by customer Brian (66Cooper). (Thank you Brian!). We loved the idea and the old PanAm logos but out of respect for the company and to give the Key West a unique identity we elected to develop the new design shown at the end of this post.
* Plane circling the globe: Another good idea that we actually tried. After quite a few iterations we felt that we could never get the resolution at such a small scale to make this attractive. We tried placing the globe in a number of different locations with unsatisfactory results.
* Sterile case back: We elected to use a design instead of a nearly sterile case back in order to separate the Key West from the Kingston. In addition we felt that a design on the case back was in keeping with the limited edition nature of the project and spirit of the reference design.
A brief update to note that an update is coming soon. I have spent the last 3 days working on the logistics for the Project GMT deliveries. I was hoping to have this finalized by today, or at least the rough plan, so that I could post it here. However between security updates to the E-boutique, drafting all of the announcements, and configuring the E-boutique for the new products here we are at 6 pm on Friday afternoon with a lot almost ready but not quite finished. We are still trying to tie down small things such as updating the artwork on the E-boutique for the watches so that it explicitly notes the color of the bezel and the dial. Depending on your computer monitor the blue can be nearly impossible to distinguish between the black unless you have both pictures side by side, which you won’t have the luxury of doing when ordering. I will be in the shop this weekend but to work on QC instead of the logistics. So we hope to have everything published before Wednesday Jan. 20th, 2016. Thanks to everyone for their continuing patience. I can only imagine that as we get closer to beginning the delivery phase that tension is beginning to build.
- Pre-production samples for the dials are currently in process.
- The hands have been shipped off to our lume specialist for the application of the SLN BGW9 lume
- Pre-production case samples and crown production, as noted earlier, are currently in process.